Sunday, October 28, 2007

Teaching

April 30, 2007

8:40 PM

It’s amazing those moments as a teacher when everything seems to just go right! Teaching can sometimes be an excessive sense of failure and brokenness, and not the students but you, or me in this case. I learned back during my first few months as a teacher that going into the classroom can very much be like a battle, the entire year a war, and of course this is a violent image, it sometimes felt and can still feel that way to me, when leaving the classroom feeling lost and crushed. I am sure that it’s not too much different from how the students may feel towards me. Them the opposing side, yet not always, at times they are allies and our working together moves us to places that we didn’t know it was possible. But there is always hope in a new day. Each day to be able to walk back in that classroom and try it again, for us the teachers, and for them the students, that’s a blessing. But today was one of those moments of triumph; today is a day that I never want to forget ever in all my days as a teacher, as a person, as a Christian, because today I saw the face of God.

We are learning about Jesus in my religion class. It’s something that my students can respond on call now. I ask them what is it that we are doing in this class, getting to know Jesus is there response. Its not an easy thing, and then again it is, I feel like my job is cut out for me since 95% of this island is Christian, all of my students are, and for the most part very practicing Christians at that. It’s a pretty amazing thing to be apart of and witness to. I guess that is how I live out that aspect of the four values of a JV. I get to witness a true sense of faith in the people of Chuuk, and “the Church is alive here in Chuuk!”, as one of the bishops said during out Dioceses days a few months ago. The church is alive!

In class right now we are going over the final days of Jesus that lead up to the Crucifixion and Resurrection, the birth of our faith. The textbooks all point to the importance and centrality of these events. And its been something that has had a profound effect on me for the first time. Ever since holy week and the Holy Triduum, I have been reflecting on the fact that without the resurrection of Jesus, we would not be Christians, life wouldn’t exist the way it does, we possibly wouldn’t be here, or at least be doing the things we are doing. Where would you be if Jesus never resurrected? It’s a crazy thought, and its one that I have been trying to have my students reflect on. We call ourselves Christians, but what does that mean? What is it that I believe? We have our creed, we have things that help us and guide us, but do I really buy into all of this? I hope people don’t think of me as heretical or filling these students minds with blasphemy, but I do know that this maybe the first time that these students began to hear any of these questions, and perhaps it may resolve in some growth, some movements towards Jesus, God, whatever higher being that these students may ultimately find. And that’s our goal, that’s what we are doing, I can’t grade them on that. But I can pray for them on that, and I do. It’s an amazing gift to be entrusted to help guide the minds and faith journeys of these 70 sophomores. I was relating this to Seth, a volunteer friend working and living at the Seventh Day Adventist School/Church. We have recently begun meeting to discuss thoughts on doctrine, catechism and faith of our religions. Chalk one for interfaith dialogue and ecumenism. He is the bible study teacher there. And shared similar thoughts on the importance our role plays for these kids. And in no way am I attempting to sound over righteous about my job, and forgive me if I do, I am no more important than English or a math teacher to these kids! But I am saying that I am blessed to be walking this walk.

And so, today in class, the moment of triumph, where it all started, with a little “try” and a whole lotta “umph!” (thank you Happy Feet). I had seen that we would be going over the last supper in class, and I saw an opportunity to bring our class to a new way of seeing the bible and their place in the whole scheme of things with God and such. Perhaps that’s more verbose than it should be, but I saw a great idea. And a motto I try to keep in life is, make it happen. Got an idea, make it happen, like the bamboo couches I want to make, but that’s another story! And so a little shakingly I proceeded to attempt to hopefully do something great for these kids. I would reenact the scene of the washing of the disciples’ feet with my classes. I didn’t know how it would turn out, but I hoped for the best. And in the end had my heart moved beyond dimensions I ever expected. I am continually moved and impressed by these students ability to show me the face of God continually in so many things that they do. We set the classroom up, we quieted everyone down, and I began to read from John the account of Jesus washing his disciples feet. And just as Jesus did, I got down on my hands and knees, and washed the feet of 12 students. Some laughed, some squirmed around feeling awkward being the center of attention, not a common thing for the Micronesian people, and some allowed God to be shown through them as their eyes welled up with God’s presence with in them. After I finished washing the feet.

No comments: